I´m pleased that you are visiting our new website.
Let yourself be inspired to work professionally and quickly with the Thermdrill® process.
Oliver Waldmann CEO ONTOOL GmbH, Germany
Reports from the field
Thermdrill® threaded bushings are the best way to establish a releaseable screw connection in thin-walled materials.
In the prefabriction Thermdrill® is the more elegant solution and replaces in many cases the traditional joining techniques such as welding and rivet nuts.
How it works. Stable threaded bushing in only two steps
With the Thermdrill® method you create in seconds with only two steps extremely stable threaded bushings made out of one piece.
Thermdrill® is specially grinded and made out of solid carbide. Generating friction heat while drilling it displaces the thin walled material without producing any chips.
Within seconds it forms a bushing underneath the workpiece from the existing material.
This extra thickness comes without any additional material or inserts and is now offering enough space for the threads which are introduced in the second step.
While thread forming the threads are forced into the material by a non-cutting method.
The material is cold worked and compacted as forging without destroying the natural grain (fiber-running) of the material.
Formed threads are characterized by extremly high strength and smooth threads followed by a very good assemply of the screw and loosening torque of the screw.
The finished treaded bushing has now 4-5 threads and is immediately usable.
Made out of one piece it is 100% twist-free and provides a secure hold especially when it is used with dynamic load and vibrations.
OPTIMUM OPTdrill B28HV
Motor Capacity 1,5 kW, 230V Rotational Speed 35-5.600 U/min. continuously adjustable
Spindle Taper MC3
Weight 141 kg
Suitable to Thermdrill® M12
Thermdrill® works just like normal drilling.
Figure show the first step for the preparation of a bushing by the Ontool CEO Oliver Waldmann.
True to size threads
With Thermdrill® you always get the best quality – made in Germany!
Figure shows the verification of a thermo-drilled bushing with a plug gauge.
What characterizes a Thermdrill® bushing
They are made of one piece from the existing material and cannot loose anymore. It´s the ideal solution for thin sheet metal, pipes and profiles.
- No more wobble, loosening or twist (like with rivet nuts).
- 100% no twist because it´s made out of one piece.
- No additonal attachments required anymore.
- Especially suitable for round tubes.
- Secure hold also for sheet metal and special section tubes.
- No waste because of chipless process by using friction heat.
- Better quality of the thread by thread forming instead of cutting (material solidification).
- Long life of the tools by polygonal grinded hard metal.
Enormous holding power
As with forging the material gets extremely compressed while forming the thread. Therefore threaded bushing are particularily suitable for extraordinary loads.
* Pull-out strength for M8, 2,0 mm material thickness
Speed up you production and save precious time
Working with Thermdrill® gives you a significant increase of productivity by reduction of production time up to 50%.
- Only two steps – i.e. just one tool change.
- High speed process – thermal drilling and tapping take only a few seconds.
- Increase of productivity through faster cycle times.
- Production costs can be saved.
- Flexible use as only one tool is needed for aluminum, copper, brasse, steel and stainless steel.
Thermdrill® – a technology that pays off
With Thermdrill® technology you can reduce up to 70% of material and labor costs for threaded connections in thin sheet metalum and increase simultaneously productivity.
Example of calculation*:
|Application||Production of M8 threaded bushings to connect glas-holders with round posts.|
|Material thickness||2,0 mm|
* Assumed values for material costs and time can differ
- Up to 90% less material costs due to high life time of the tools.
- Up to 50% less labor costs through high speed process and fewer tool changes.
- Usually no investment in drilling machines required – can be used on almost any standard pillar drills.
- Modular system allows you to buy only the tools that you need for your application.
- Reduction of rejects – no loosening, wobbling and twist like rivet nuts.
- No consequential cost due to broken connections.
High tool life period – low costs
Thermdrill® thermo-drills and thread formers are very durable.
A single Thermdrill® tool-set replaces up to 5.000 rivet nuts.
Thermdrill® reduces running costs
Many side work are not noticed but cause significant costs. With Thermdrill® you save:
- Storage costs
- Supply / transport of attachments in place
- Logistic costs
- Disposal of chips
- Danger of confusion